guix-devel

Re: Data Services: use cases

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Data Services: use cases
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2020 11:27:47 +0200

Hi,

Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> skribis:

> In particular, the "Version From To" table is hard to grasp to a
> newcomer.

I’m not a newcomer but I find it limpid: I think it immediately shows
that this is about version changes and when they happened.  Maybe it
could be decluttered a bit by using shorter date strings (like
“Oct. 1st” instead of “2020-10-01 18:42:00”).

BTW, when looking at /output-history, the commits in “From” and “To” can
be a bit confusing.  Take:

https://data.guix.gnu.org/repository/1/branch/master/package/openmpi/output-history

I see “To” pointing to
<https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=ec2a8f602ee0fd2fac2210eeae6d1da091bb47e4>,
a commit that changes ‘mpd’, which ‘openmpi’ doesn’t depend on; this is
completely bogus.  However, the next “From” points to the right commit:
<https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=d623ece56624fd7d611cdaf42f728b21d89fec5c>.

It’s surprising that “To” and the immediately following “From” are not
the same.

WDYT, Chris?

Thanks,
Ludo’.