guix-devel

Re: Data Services: use cases

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Data Services: use cases
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2020 12:19:15 +0200

Hi Ludo,

On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 at 11:27, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

> Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> skribis:
>
> > In particular, the "Version From To" table is hard to grasp to a
> > newcomer.
>
> I’m not a newcomer but I find it limpid: I think it immediately shows
> that this is about version changes and when they happened.  Maybe it
> could be decluttered a bit by using shorter date strings (like
> “Oct. 1st” instead of “2020-10-01 18:42:00”).

On my side, short date and short commit hash appearing (avoiding the
click) would be nice. :-)

> BTW, when looking at /output-history, the commits in “From” and “To” can
> be a bit confusing.  Take:
>

> https://data.guix.gnu.org/repository/1/branch/master/package/openmpi/output-history
>
> I see “To” pointing to
> <https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=ec2a8f602ee0fd2fac2210eeae6d1da091bb47e4>,
> a commit that changes ‘mpd’, which ‘openmpi’ doesn’t depend on; this is
> completely bogus.  However, the next “From” points to the right commit:
> <https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=d623ece56624fd7d611cdaf42f728b21d89fec5c>.
>
> It’s surprising that “To” and the immediately following “From” are not
> the same.

I recently have a very similar issue [1].  And based on my
investigations [2], the issue seems "commit date vs author date";
especially when merges are floating around.  Because of that, from
"From" to "To" is not always accurate.  Chris, could you confirm?

1: <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-10/msg00084.html>
2: <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-10/msg00096.html>

All the best,
simon