guix-devel

Re: Using #true and #false everywhere?

From: Roel Janssen
Subject: Re: Using #true and #false everywhere?
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2020 13:51:23 +0200

On Wed, 2020-10-21 at 11:59 +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> skribis:
>
> > on the bikeshedding front: I find #true and #false confusing, since
> > everything I see on the Scheme language seems to use #t and #f.
>
> What material are you referring to?  SICP & co.?

Sorry to inject in the thread, but here's more material that uses #t
and #f:

  $ guile
  GNU Guile 3.0.4
  Copyright (C) 1995-2020 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

  Guile comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `,show w'.
  This program is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
  under certain conditions; type `,show c' for details.

  Enter `,help' for help.
  scheme@(guile-user)> (= 1 1)
  $1 = #t
  scheme@(guile-user)> (= 1 2)
  $2 = #f

I don't remember ever being confused about #t and #f, so perhaps my
opinion doesn't matter much in this, but I'd prefer #t and #f because
it's already widespread use in Scheme.  (And with widespread I mean:
Pretty much all Scheme code I read).

I do remember being confused about the double parenthesis on "let" ;).

Kind regards,
Roel Janssen