guix-devel

Re: Update on the timeline for the release v1.2.

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Update on the timeline for the release v1.2.
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2020 17:57:48 +0200

zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> skribis:

>> > The proposed coming timeline is:
>> >
>> >  - freeze starting the Oct. 26th
>> >  - last round for testing all over the week
>> >  - unfreeze the Oct. 29th and then create the branch
>> >  - minor bug fixes and all the papeword around (NEWS, blog, etc.)
>> >  - release Nov. 6th.
>>
>> Overall LGTM, but could you clarify what you mean by “freeze” on
>> Oct. 26–29?  No “important” changes to ‘master’, including to the
>> manual, is that correct?
>
> Yes, no "important" changes to 'master' which means:
>  - no package or service updates

I would phrase it as no _important_ package or service updates.
Updating non-critical leaf packages or services is probably fine.

>  - no manual entry
>  - only serious fixes under guix/ or installer(s)
>
> From my point of view, it is easier to freeze 'master' since everybody
> can "guix pull" and check that everything is fine.
> Otherwise, instead of the freeze, let create the branch and so "guix
> pull --branch=version-1.2.0".  It is up to you.

Yeah we could also branch on the 26th and cherry-pick harmless changes
from ‘master’, so people can still have fun on ‘master’.

Mathieu, Marius, Maxim, Tobias: thoughts?

Ludo’.