guix-devel

Re: Manual PDF and translation (modular texlive?)

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Manual PDF and translation (modular texlive?)
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 00:10:05 +0200

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:
>
>> I can now build the French and the German manuals in this environment:
>>
>>     guix environment --pure guix --ad-hoc -e '(begin (use-modules (gnu
>> packages tex))(texlive-union (list texlive-epsf texlive-fonts-ec
>> texlive-amsfonts texlive-tex-texinfo)))'
>>
>> Unfortunately, the accents and umlauts in the table of contents are
>> still wrong, but they are fine everywhere else.
>
> Yeah, ‘doc/build.scm’ has this comment:
>
>   ;; FIXME: This union works, except for the table of contents of non-English
>   ;; manuals, which contains escape sequences like "^^ca^^fe" instead of
>   ;; accented letters.
>   ;;
>   ;; (define texlive
>   ;;   (texlive-union (list texlive-tex-texinfo
>   ;;                        texlive-generic-epsf
>   ;;                        texlive-fonts-ec)))
>
> What’s interesting is that it breaks accents in the table of contents,
> but not elsewhere.

These double caret sequences are representations of multi-byte
characters.  “^^c3^^b6”, for example, is a lowercase a with umlaut.

The TeX log file contains a whole bunch of these messages:

    l.139: Unicode char @u8:^^e5^^8f^^82 not defined for Texinfo

Then later things like this:

    Missing character: There is no ^^c3 in font cmr10!
    Missing character: There is no ^^9f in font cmr10!
    Missing character: There is no ^^c3 in font cmr10!
    Missing character: There is no ^^9f in font cmr10!
    Missing character: There is no ^^c3 in font cmr10!
    Missing character: There is no ^^a4 in font cmr10!

I’m not sure this is correct, because it seems to me that “^^c3” is only
part of a longer multi-byte sequence, but this error indicates that
individual bytes are looked up in the font.

--
Ricardo