guix-devel

Re: Update on the timeline for the release v1.2.

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Update on the timeline for the release v1.2.
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 00:36:19 +0200

On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 at 00:16, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

> > Wouldn't that mess up with guix's authentication mechanism? If we branch
> > v1.2 early, our release will have no forward path to master, so all our
> > users will get an error when running guix pull.
>
> No, that’s fine as long as there’s a path from the source commit to the
> target commit.
>
> It’s the same as running ‘guix pull --branch=staging’ today for
> instance.

>From 58af4c9, I did "guix pull --branch=staging" and then "guix pull
-l" says the last is 353bdae, so far so good.  And from there I run
"guix pull" and paf!

Updating channel 'guix' from Git repository at
'https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git'...
guix pull: error: aborting update of channel 'guix' to commit
3ddc47bc07439ab526013031f8e052e4c8c7cd92, which is not a descendant of
353bdae32f72b720c7ddd706576ccc40e2b43f95
hint: This could indicate that the channel has been tampered with and is trying
to force a roll-back, preventing you from getting the latest updates.  If
you think this is not the case, explicitly allow non-forward updates.

Well, I do not have all the details about the commit closure
implementation in mind but I remember discussing such cases. :-)
I should do something wrong.

Cheers,
simon