guix-devel

Packaging Python projects managed with Poetry

From: Tanguy Le Carrour
Subject: Packaging Python projects managed with Poetry
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 17:15:20 +0200

Hi Guix,

I've been happily working with Poetry to manage my Python projects, but
now, for the first time, I would like to package one of those projects
for Guix.

The Python packages I build do not contain any tests or specs, because
to me, they don't belong there. But, I need those tests to make sure
that my package works with the versions of the dependencies available on
Guix.

The problem is that the source code that I fetch from the git repository
contains the test, but does not contain a `setup.py` file –because Poetry
does not use it!—, and the `python-build-system` fails.

I haven't wrap my head around this yet and I'm not sure what would be
the proper way to do it? Write a `python-poetry-build-system`? I hope not!
Just put the d**n tests in the Python package? This would look like a
failure to me! :-(

Any thought, help, guidance welcome! Thanks! :-)

--
Tanguy