guix-devel

Re: Packaging Python projects managed with Poetry

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: Re: Packaging Python projects managed with Poetry
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 18:44:52 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 17:15:20 +0200
Tanguy Le Carrour <tanguy@bioneland.org> wrote:

> does not contain a `setup.py` file –because Poetry does not use it!—, and
>the `python-build-system` fails.
> I haven't wrap my head around this yet and I'm not sure what would be
> the proper way to do it?

>Write a `python-poetry-build-system`? I hope not!

Why not?

According to https://github.com/python-poetry/poetry they took inspiration
from existing build systems like cargo, and they just replaced setup.py by
pyproject.toml.

So what you could do is create a poetry-build-system that is just like
python-build-system (probably even inherits from it) but uses "poetry"
instead of "python setup.py".

If the author of a package replaces the build system used in his actual
project, he has to expect to also have to replace the build-system reference
in the guix package.  Why is that weird?

Or you could try to add it to the existing python-build-system--but the
poetry website doesn't sound like it's designed like that (it rather sounds
like they want to replace all other python build systems).

> Just put the d**n tests in the Python package? This would look like a
> failure to me! :-(

If the end user doesn't need the tests, the tests shouldn't make it into the
derivation of your package.  But they are there while the package is building
the derivation--so just run the tests then.