guix-devel

Re: Advantages over Nix?

From: Taylan Kammer
Subject: Re: Advantages over Nix?
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2020 13:42:31 +0100

On 26.10.2020 11:41, zimoun wrote:

The main pitfall is not the Dockerfile per se but the classical
distribution it often implies.  Well, this video is explaining better
than my words. :-)

https://archive.fosdem.org/2019/schedule/event/gnu_guix_new_approach_to_software_distribution
Great video!  I love the way Ludo explains things.

I do not know Nix.  The killer features I cannot work without now are:

  - time-machine
  - environment (alone, with --pure or --container)
  - pack -f docker
  - repl
I think pack -f docker is going to be the "killer feature" in this case.

Well, the following doesn't seem so complicated either actually:

  https://nix.dev/tutorials/building-and-running-docker-images.html

But I really like how 'guix pack' can generate a tarball just as well, which could be deployed and tested anywhere...

I'll need to make a few more comparisons.

TL;DR: sell Guix (over Nix) to someone who doesn't care about GNU or
Scheme?

For reference, Pierre started this [1] and I do not remember the end
of the story.   IMHO, the nice move is to write down typical use
cases/scenarii that Guix solves and then the audience can pick the one
they are interested in or the one that talks to them as an entry
point.  Therefore, to convince my co-workers, I pick our typical
workflow, show how it works (or would work) with Guix, pointing out
what are the current drawbacks of the current workflow and how Guix
improves the situation or sometimes only one specific part of the
workflow.  (My co-workers are biologists so they do not care much
about the computational tools since the one who is doing. ;-))

1: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2020-01/msg00002.html

That sounds like a sensible approach, thanks for the suggestion!

- Taylan