guix-devel

Re: Advantages over Nix?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Advantages over Nix?
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2020 17:14:55 +0100

Dear,

On Mon, 26 Oct 2020 at 13:42, Taylan Kammer <taylan.kammer@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 26.10.2020 11:41, zimoun wrote:

> I think pack -f docker is going to be the "killer feature" in this case.
>
> Well, the following doesn't seem so complicated either actually:
>
>    https://nix.dev/tutorials/building-and-running-docker-images.html
>
> But I really like how 'guix pack' can generate a tarball just as well,
> which could be deployed and tested anywhere...
>
> I'll need to make a few more comparisons.

Do not miss the '--save-provenance' option. ;-)
It saves the profile/manifest which can be used to rebuild one
manifest.scm file.  You could be interested in [1].  I am running out
of time, but the profile/manifest->manifest.scm converter could be
nice to have. :-)

1:<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-09/msg00221.html>

All the best,
simon