guix-devel

Re: Manual PDF and translation (modular texlive?)

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Manual PDF and translation (modular texlive?)
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2020 23:50:55 +0100

Hi!

Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:

> This patch fixes it:

[...]

> +                     (("translate-file=cp227")
> +                      (format #f
> "translate-file=~a/share/texmf-dist/web2c/cp227"
> +                              (assoc-ref inputs "texlive-kpathsea")))))

Woow, thumbs up.  Not something one could have guessed!

> With this patch the German PDF manual has no more encoding problems.
> This should go to core-updates or a new texlive-upgrade branch, because
> it results in countless rebuilds.

OK.

> There are still remaining problems when using make doc/guix.de.pdf:
>
> * kpathsea causes mktexpk to be run for a number of fonts that already
>   exist in the union (e.g. ecrm1200).  Why aren’t they found?  Perhaps
>   that’s because TeX Live only includes the font metrics (.tfm), but not
>   the .pk files.  I wonder why the .pk files are used at all.
>
> * despite successfully generating the PDF file in the temporary build
>   directory, make aborts:
>
>   /gnu/store/mw4llmn2l617gf5zakfk1l154f19lxbm-profile/bin/texi2dvi: pdftex
> exited with bad status, quitting.
>   make: *** [Makefile:4375: doc/guix.de.pdf] Error 1

‘texi2dvi’ swallows error messages; I’m not sure it can be made more
verbose, but I remember debugging it through strace (!) where I could
see the underlying messages, which sometimes contain hints if you’re
able to read between the lines.

Kudos on the progress you made!

Thanks,
Ludo’.