guix-devel

Re: Advantages over Nix?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Advantages over Nix?
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2020 14:14:18 +0100

Hey,

On Tue, 27 Oct 2020 at 11:36, Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public12@thebird.nl> wrote:

> Quite a few of us here have used and developed against Nix in the past
> and Nix certainly is a great work and the original inspiration of GNU
> Guix (and doing things better). When Ludo introduced Guix at FOSDEM in
> 2014, however, I was convinced to change my ways on the spot - after
> using Nix (from the early days).  This article is from 2008

About history, couple of days ago I went to [1] from this thread:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-system-discuss/2012-11/msg00000.html

1: <https://guix.gnu.org/guix-ghm-20120721.pdf>

p.100: Scheme
 - supports embedded DSLs via macro
 - can be used both for composition *and* build scripts

Well, in summary Nix provides the initial "weird paths" and Guix adds
with consistency all the powerful "parenthesis" around. :-)

Let's pick an example:  the sources.json file ingested by Software
Heritage.  Basically, Guix does that when building its website and the
relevant Scheme code is here:

<https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/guix-artwork.git/tree/website/apps/packages/builder.scm#n96>

Nothing more.  Compare to what Nix does:

    <https://github.com/nix-community/nixpkgs-swh>

so pieces of Nix DSL which generates files that are parsed by Python
and then glued with Shell.

All the best,
simon