guix-devel

Re: Specify substitute url in GUI installer

From: Mathieu Othacehe
Subject: Re: Specify substitute url in GUI installer
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2021 18:43:21 +0100

Hello,

> However, it's sad that there's no option for user to specify substitute
> url in GUI installer of Guix ISO. It means that people new to Guix still
> have to tolerate the slow connection during the installation.
>
> Can we add such option for GUI installer?

Adding such an option shouldn't be too hard, as there's already the
possibility to add an HTTP mirror from the parameters menu.

The problem is to authorize the substitute server. I don't think it's
reasonable to ask the user to enter the server public key manually. An
option would be to fetch the public key from
"https://the-substitute-sever/signing-key.pub";, display it, and propose
the user to authorize or not this server.

WDYT?

Mathieu