guix-devel

Re: ZFS on Guix

From: raid5atemyhomework
Subject: Re: ZFS on Guix
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2021 05:17:55 +0000

Hi guix-developers,

> Now, my understanding is that `/etc/` directory is recreated at each `guix
> system reconfigure`. Thus, if ZFS maintains information in `/etc/zfs/` then
> on a reconfigure the information is lost.
>
> If so --- for Guix, what should I use instead?

Okay, a `guix system reconfigure` doesn't remove files in `/etc`, at best I
**think** it just copies/overwrites data, but if the `etc` directory of the
built system doesn't have a file, it will not be overwritten if something else
writes to `/etc`.  Is my understanding correct?

On the other hand --- is it "properly Guix" for a system component to write to
a file in the `/etc` directory? Where should I put this kind of
not-quite-configuration cache file?

Thanks
raid5atemyhomework