guix-devel

Re: Building Guile with ‘-j1’?

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: Building Guile with ‘-j1’?
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 10:17:25 -0500

Hi,

Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> writes:

> Hi Ludovic,
>
> Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> As the saying goes, “the cobbler’s children go barefoot”.  Guile/Guix
>> are no exception since Guile builds are non-reproducible, despite work
>> done a few years ago:
>>
>>   https://issues.guix.gnu.org/20272
>>
>> Until it’s fixed in Guile proper, what do you think of building Guile
>> 2.0/2.2/3.0 with #:parallel-build? #f ?  We could do that in
>> ‘core-updates’ now.

I'm not too found of it.  It'll make the already slow Guile build much
slower, making the lower strata of core-updates packages more painfully
slow to build and test.  It'll also enable us to overlook the issue for
years to come (similarly to the fact that the testsuite of the Guix
package itself hasn't been run in parallel for the last 6 years or so
:-)).

It also won't fix the issue of Guix modules compiled in parallel
suffering from the same problem.

So I'd keep it as it is for now, as a reminder that this is a serious
problem in need of a fix.

Thanks,

Maxim