guix-devel

Re: Update on bordeaux.guix.gnu.org

From: Vagrant Cascadian
Subject: Re: Update on bordeaux.guix.gnu.org
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 09:07:35 -0700

On 2021-08-18, Christopher Baines wrote:
> Around 2 months ago, bordeaux.guix.gnu.org came in to existence [1][2].
>
> 1:
> https://guix.gnu.org/en/blog/2021/substitutes-now-also-available-from-bordeauxguixgnuorg/
> 2: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2021-06/msg00044.html
>
> This took work I'd done on providing substitutes back in 2020 and
> attempted to bring benefits from that to normal users of Guix.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't really know if this has been much of a
> success.

I can definitely speak from experience the likelihood of actually
getting substitutes for any aarch64 linux-libre* packages has gone from
"rarely" to "usually", so it has definitely been a huge improvement for
aarch64, where building locally on most aarch64 hardware is very slow.

Does it have faster build machines? Does it keep retrying until it
succeeds? Building linux-libre* packages for ci.guix.gnu.org usually
timeout when building the source due to long periods with no output...

live well,
  vagrant