guix-devel

Re: Distributing Guix System Pinebook Pro images

From: Mathieu Othacehe
Subject: Re: Distributing Guix System Pinebook Pro images
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 16:52:02 +0200

Hello Vagrant,

> I wonder how much diskspace savings you might get by leaving out the
> display manager... I typically just login from the console and run "exec
> sway". I *think* the last image I generated for that was more like 2GB,
> though my memory is fallable, and maybe misses various other standard
> desktop packages (e.g. web browser).

Yeah SDDM drags Xorg between other things, I could definitely get rid of
it.

> I have since figured out how to use the regular "linux-libre" kernel and
> which modules to add to the initrd... I'll try to dig those up.

That would be nice. I also came across to the issue you reported here:
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/48266. We definitely need to do something
about it. Building this initrd modules list is quite painful. I'll try
to think about it.

> Have fully native builds been fixed yet with "guix system image" ? That
> has been a blocker forme from trying it out. I haven't been booting my
> x86 guix installation lately, mostly just using the pinebook pro, so it
> is ironic I haven't been able to make a pinebook pro image. :)

Hehe, that's a shame indeed. I'm working on it as a follow-up of
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/45020. I'll propose a patch soon.

Thanks,

Mathieu