guix-devel

Re: Can we find a better idiom for unversioned packages?

From: Liliana Marie Prikler
Subject: Re: Can we find a better idiom for unversioned packages?
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2021 11:25:55 +0200

Am Donnerstag, den 02.09.2021, 07:53 +0000 schrieb Jonathan McHugh:
> Hi Liliana,
>
> Given your examples I expect improving upstream CHANGELOG (or third
> party) files would be too much of a burden in order to solve the
> aforementioned problems.
ChangeLogs are generally not installed as part of packages, though some
packages might include them as documentation.  In other cases, they
might even be part of the source files themselves, Emacs packages
sometimes function like that.  In either case, they only "address" the
problems insofar as reading them might give a clue about what goes into
the resulting binary, but they do not help that much with versioning.