guix-devel

Re: Linux-libre source code will be taken offline

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Linux-libre source code will be taken offline
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 19:11:58 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, 28 Sept 2021 at 16:32, Jason Self <jself@gnu.org> wrote:

> Granted that old/gen7 is not currently a valid URL but we can know
> that, 5 or 10 years from now, when Linux-libre has moved on to the 8th,
> 9th or even 10th generation, the 7th generation scripts will exist
> there. If Guix can begin checking those additional locations now then,
> in the future once the current Guix version becomes an old version,
> hopefully it can transparently handle that transition without issue. Or
> just use git. :)

I am not familiar with the Linux Libre scripts.  Are these scripts
already under a Git repo?

The method you are proposing seems awkward; as you say, old/gen7 is
not currently a valid URL.  And you are proposing that you set in
stone now this URL expecting that maybe it will be valid in the
future.  Ah future cannot be predicted. ;-)  Who knows that this old/
folder will not be renamed as 'not-fully-free' or whatever.

Working with URL limits the time-travel because it is a really poor
mechanism (and not robust at all) for content-address something, IMHO.

Well, maybe I miss a point or something.

Cheers,
simon