guix-devel

Re: Merging wip-guix-home to master

From: Xinglu Chen
Subject: Re: Merging wip-guix-home to master
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 17:02:18 +0200

On Wed, Sep 29 2021, Katherine Cox-Buday wrote:

> Xinglu Chen <public@yoctocell.xyz> writes:
>
>> I disagree, I think it’s OK for things like (guix git), which are mainly
>> used by developers, to not be documented in the manual.
>
> I strongly disagree with this. As a long-time developer, I have used
> documentation both as a user and as a developer many times.
>
> Documentation is for everyone.

I said “to not be documented in the manual” (the majority of (guix …)
modules aren’t documented in the manual); that doesn’t mean that there
aren’t any docstrings.  The manual says that all top-level procedures
should have docstrings (see “16.5.4 Formatting Code”)

    We require all top-level procedures to carry a docstring.  This
  requirement can be relaxed for simple private procedures in the ‘(guix
  build ...)’ name space, though.