guix-devel

Re: A Few Packaging Questions

From: Csepp
Subject: Re: A Few Packaging Questions
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2022 18:35:32 +0200

Hi!

Christopher Rodriguez <cdr255@gmail.com> writes:

> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
> Hello All,
>
> 1. Is there a way to call non-exported procedures from a module in
> Guile?

There is one but you should not use it.  Instead you should send a patch
that adds an export to the previously private declaration.
And the way is to use the @@ function, but code that relies on it is
AFAIK not acceptable in Guix.

> 2. Is there a list of variables accessible using gexps somewhere, or
> some source code I might be able to glean the same information from?
>
> I have just discovered #$output as a somewhat useful tool, and I'm
> currently looking to learn more ahead of when I might need them.

The info pages should have more, well, info.  Easiest way to find them
IMHO is through Emacs.  There is also an HTML mirror:

https://guix.gnu.org/en/manual/devel/en/html_node/G_002dExpressions.html#G_002dExpressions

> 3. What is the canonical way in the new input system to reference a
> specific output of a package?

According to the URL above, it's #$output[:output].

I hope that helped.  Happy packaging. UwU