guix-devel

Re: Tempel snippets

From: Liliana Marie Prikler
Subject: Re: Tempel snippets
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2022 09:33:02 +0200

Hi Nicolas,

Am Sonntag, dem 07.08.2022 um 01:53 +0200 schrieb Nicolas Graves:
> I'm translating the snippets used in the snippets dir so that we can
> provide an alternative (here tempel) for snippets in the Perfect
> Setup.
Thanks for that.  I've been meaning to try out Tempel for a while, but
Guix snippets have been a minor reason to "just keep yas" for a while.

> I have two practical questions about where to put that code.
>
> 1) For reproducible development purposes (e.g. rde), it would
> be great to have snippets shipped with guix itself (the snippets
> directory is not in the store of the guix package), or alternatively
> in a package, instead of in a possibly moving directory. WDYT? Which
> alternative is the best?
I don't really think there's a requirement to do so.  These snippets
are meant for contributers to Guix.  Contributers to other channels
ought to follow that channels' practices – if Guix snippets apply
there, that's great, but it's not a given.

> 2) Where should I add tempel-ready snippets? The etc/snippets dir
> can't be used directly because it's the one used by yasnippet. Or in
> the option of packages, I can rather make one.
I'll give you two answers:
1. The taxonomer's answer is to simply subdivide etc/snippets into
tempel and yas.
2. The "I don't like that many layers in my filesystem" answer would be
to have etc/tempel-snippets and etc/yasnippets
Pike your bikeshed.

> 3) I'll send a first series with basic working templates, but in the
> process have seen that there may be some refactoring / snippets
> improvements, but I'm not yet emacs-fluent enough to get that done
> easily. Will probably send a mail with the series with some ideas for
> refactoring and where I'm stuck. Also I think that we can add a
> snippet for license: completion, include an alternative snippet for
> copyright (since we must be at the right spot to insert anyway), and
> have an option to compute base32 hash during template completion (if
> possible, I'll see what I can do).
For the hash thing I think it'd be valuable already if you embedded the
hash of an empty directory.  For the record, that's
  0sjjj9z1dhilhpc8pq4154czrb79z9cm044jvn75kxcjv6v5l2m5
Don't try to be too smart, running guix commands (or even git checkout)
during snippet expansion is not something I'd expect.

Cheers