guix-devel

Re: Pinning package inputs using inferiors?

From: Felix Lechner
Subject: Re: Pinning package inputs using inferiors?
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 22:58:08 -0700

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 21, 2022 at 4:51 PM Phil <phil@beadling.co.uk> wrote:

> have the releases available ...
> but without ... an obligation on ... applications to adopt
> these changes

While I am relatively new to functional package management, I find it
inconsistent that inputs in Guix are provided by variables.

I believe the inputs should be provided by functions that deliver the
most suitable version of a package. For most packages, that is the
most recent version unless pinned.

A package definition would be the list of available versions rather
than just one version.

One day, those functions could even be combined with importers in the
sense that many versions are potentially available. Substitutes would
only be produced and served for versions actually used, plus the most
recent version.

Kind regards
Felix Lechner