guix-devel

Re: Release progress, week 3

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Release progress, week 3
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2022 16:13:22 +0100

Hi,

Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> skribis:

>>> test-name: channel-news, no news
>>> actual-error:
>>> + (git-error
>>> +   #<<git-error> code: -1 message: "invalid version 0 on
>>> git_proxy_options" class: 3>)
>>> result: FAIL
>>
>> This looks like an ABI issue with libgit2.  Are you sure the same
>> version of libgit2 is used on all these platforms?
>
> My quick and rough archeaology shows that libgit2-dev
> 1.1.0+dfsg.1-4.1+b1 was used to build guile-git 0.5.2-4, but the current
> libgit2-dev package in Debian is 1.5.0+ds-6 ... so that seems plausible.

[...]

> Maybe there is a better way I can track the various guile-* packages in
> Debian, but manually tracking all the relevent dependents seems
> implausible (or at least, a lot of work)... which may lead to the
> conclusion that maintaining Guix in Debian implausible. :/

I don’t see how that’s specific to guile-* packages though.  Anytime a
dependency is upgraded that introduces a different ABI, you need to
rebuild dependents, right?  That’s what’s happening here.

> Seems like the most likely ones I would have to keep a close eye on are
> guile-gcrypt, guile-git, guile-gnutls (although currently part of gnutls
> this will likely change soonish), guile-lzlib, guile-ssh, guile-sqlite3,
> guile-zlib, guile-zstd. And there's also keeping an eye on guile itself,
> which adds another set of packages. Wheee. Hrm.

Heh.  Speaking of which, guile-gnutls is now a thing of its own,
separate from GnuTLS:

  https://gitlab.com/gnutls/guile/

I believe Andreas Metzler already update Debian’s guile-gnutls package
accordingly.

Thanks,
Ludo’.