guix-devel

i586-gnu builds on ci.guix

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: i586-gnu builds on ci.guix
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2022 19:23:24 +0100

Hi!

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> skribis:

>      - i586-gnu: Chris and I fixed core packages (test failures;
>        bordeaux.guix is building them and I’ll enable it on ci.guix real
>        soon now.

I was blissfully optimistic: to do that, we first need to run
‘cuirass-remote-worker’ in the childhurds (which are cross-compiled).

Alas Cuirass depends on Fibers, which is currently Linux-only¹, so we
cannot {cross-,}build it for GNU/Hurd.  The good news is that
‘remote-worker.scm’ itself doesn’t seem to use Fibers.  So I wonder if
we could arrange to build a stripped-down package that contains nothing
but ‘cuirass-remote-worker’.  WDYT?

Cuirass also depends on Avahi, which is currently not buildable for
GNU/Hurd due to libcap requiring on Linux-specific headers, and it seems
to be a hard requirement².  Unfortunately ‘remote-worker.scm’ requires
it.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.

¹ There’s preliminary work to address that:
  <https://github.com/wingo/fibers/pull/53>

² AFAICS Debian doesn’t have it on GNU/Hurd either:
  <https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/libcap2>