guix-devel

Re: splitting up and sorting commits?

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: splitting up and sorting commits?
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2022 10:59:32 +0100

Hello,

Am Wed, Nov 02, 2022 at 12:05:54AM +0000 schrieb Csepp:
> * It is very easy for package to get added before their dependencies, so
> even though by the end of the commit chain everything builds perfectly
> fine, there are intermediate commits that can't be tested on their own.

maybe it can be handled by a different workflow? I usually use the git stash
to perform a depth first traversal of the dependency graph like so:
- Add package A. Try to build it and see that it needs dependency B.
  "git stash".
- Add package B *instead*. Try to build it...
(da capo ad libitum)
- "git commit" with package B.
- "git stash pop". Try to build package A etc.
- "git commit" with package A.

The only drawback is that B and A are often defined next to each other,
which creates a spurious merge conflict during "git stash pop", but that
is easy to solve and requires an additional "git stash drop" in the end.

Sometimes I even give up on package A in the end, but then at least B
has been added to Guix :)

Andreas