guix-devel

Re: Proposing commit access for 'unmatched-paren'

From: bokr
Subject: Re: Proposing commit access for 'unmatched-paren'
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2022 21:23:33 +0100

Hi,

TL;DR: IMO commit access is too dangerous to grant on the basis of
appreciating help, and/or workflow convenience.

Trusted committers are defenders of FLOSS.

There must be very strict trust requirements for commit access
or FLOSS will become vulnerable to "mistakes" with plausible denial,
like over-eagerness to help, oops, introduced by anti-FLOSS grinches.

Temporary introduced problems, even if not dangerous, work as a form
of denial-of-service attack on the development process itself.

They also promote a not-ready-for-production-use view of the whole project,
despite the great sucess and adoption stories.

No one is perfect, so there will be dumb mistakes to forgive,
but IMO recruiting committers should be thought of as recruiting
defenders of the holiest treasure of s/w.

--
Regards,
Bengt Richter