guix-devel

Re: Should wsl-boot-program create XDG_RUNTIME_DIR?

From: John Kehayias
Subject: Re: Should wsl-boot-program create XDG_RUNTIME_DIR?
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 03:00:17 +0000

Hi Maxim and Dan,

On Tue, Nov 15, 2022 at 04:13 PM, Maxim Cournoyer wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> dan <i@dan.games> writes:
>
>> 2. WSLg is usable, but the mesa in guix repo doesn't build with d3d12
>> gallium driver[2]. So when opening up a GUI software in guix on WSL,
>> in renders through llvmpipe (using CPU not GPU).
>>
>> I'm not sure if building mesa with d3d12 driver enabled by default is
>> a good idea, or maybe we could create a new package?
>
> A variant package would mean rebuilding many things, so if we want to
> support this use case it seems we'd have to enable d3d12 in our main
> mesa package and see what are the costs of doing so (increased disk
> space?  new dependencies?).

At the very least Mesa will need the DirectX headers. That may be it?

There are several Mesa updates over on core-updates, so if anyone wanted to try
out adding that option, you should use the core-updates version. I think you'll
only need the newer libdrm and wayland-protocols from there and should
otherwise build fine on master.

John