guix-devel

Package Argument #:asd-systems Missing & Guix Provides

From: Charles
Subject: Package Argument #:asd-systems Missing & Guix Provides
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 20:55:45 +0000

Hello Guix Developers.

More specifically, the #:asd-systems package-argument is missing from lisp
libraries using the asdf-build-system/source (packages like cl-alexandria). I
understand that it is removed on line 205 of guix/build-system/asdf.scm along
with other package-arguments.

(strip-keyword-arguments
 '(#:tests? #:lisp #:asd-systems #:asd-test-systems #:asd-operation)
 (package-arguments pkg))

The reason is clear: asdf-build-system/source doesn't actually build anyting,
so it doesn't need any build arguments. Would it hurt to leave the
package-arguments there even though they are unused?

Full Context:

I am trying to make a guix-provides script that would take some artifact (name
of asd-system) as input and give the packages that create those artifacts.
Examples:

Find by asdf-system
$ guix provides --asdf-system com.inuoe.jzon
sbcl-jzon
ecl-jzon
cl-jzon

Find by binary. I think it will take significant changes to get this one to
work.
$ guix provides as
binutils

I'm working on the --asdf-system version as a proof of concept because I like
lisp, and it seems doable with minimal changes. The one problem I'm running
into is not having access to the #:asd-systems package argument for packages
with asdf-build-system/source. I agin ask: Would it be possible to leave the
package-arguments (at least the #:asd-systems) in tact for
asdf-build-system/source packages?

- Charles