guix-devel

Re: foreign-distro?

From: Wojtek Kosior
Subject: Re: foreign-distro?
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2022 13:34:33 +0100

Hi all,

Sorry to tell this - I don't think something like this would be even
possible to implement :/

AFAIK package definition fields like `(inputs)` don't just describe how
the package gets installed. They affect the actual build. So if we
really wanted this feature, we'd need to build 2 separate variants of a
package - one for Guix system and one for foreign distros.

In addition to looking like an overkill, such separate build variants
could also require changes to existing utilities like `guix copy`.

Besides all this, It it not that easy to determine whether Guix is
running under a foreign distro. One idea would be to check whether the
currently-running init system is Shepherd. But what if the user is
running Guix commands inside a Guix system chroot? The Shepherd process
is not going to be visible in such case

Wojtek

-- (sig_start)
website: https://koszko.org/koszko.html
PGP: https://koszko.org/key.gpg
fingerprint: E972 7060 E3C5 637C 8A4F  4B42 4BC5 221C 5A79 FD1A

Meet Kraków saints!           #18: blessed Józef Kowalski
Poznaj świętych krakowskich!  #18: błogosławiony Józef Kowalski
https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Józef_Kowalski_(duchowny)
-- (sig_end)