guix-devel

Re: RFC: libgit2 is slow/inefficient; switch to git command?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: RFC: libgit2 is slow/inefficient; switch to git command?
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2022 23:04:23 +0100

Hi,

Phil <phil@beadling.co.uk> skribis:

> In particular we were forced to make this change to our local guix build
> to ensure that guix behaved inline with git:
> https://github.com/guix-mirror/guix/commit/473954dd92bbb84693b6fa3f007752eb53c804db
>
> An explanation of why, was raised with libgit2:
> https://github.com/libgit2/libgit2/issues/6183
>
> The original guix-devel discussion here:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2022-03/msg00021.html

I didn’t follow that but perhaps there’s something we should do in Guix
proper?  Maybe not exactly this change though, because it might be a
performance hit, but it’s worth discussing.

> This particular issue is somewhat niche - but it demonstrates well the
> danger of assuming the libgit2 and git behave in the same way!

Whichever implementation we use is going to behave differently from Git
in some cases (unless we use Git, that is).  But I think that’s okay, we
can smooth out issues.

Thanks,
Ludo’.