guix-devel

Re: advanced?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: advanced?
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 19:36:03 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, 28 Nov 2022 at 15:44, Simon Josefsson via "Development of GNU Guix and
the GNU System distribution." <guix-devel@gnu.org> wrote:

> Yes, that makes sense.  I'm not the best person to summarize it, but
> starting pointers if someone wants to take it further:

Well, it is somehow part of,

    * Transactional upgrades and roll-backs
    * Reproducible build environments

I would also add Inferiors and Time-machine, especially working in
tandem with Software Heritage.  AFAIU, it is unique to be able to jump
to (almost) any point back in time and just rebuild (or almost), with
one command-line, whatever the state of the world (or almost).  It
pushes far beyond features such as https://snapshot.debian.org/ IMHO.

Cheers,
simon