guix-devel

Re: guix emacs package MELPA/ELPA

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: guix emacs package MELPA/ELPA
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2022 08:57:07 -0800

Akib Azmain Turja <akib@disroot.org> writes:

> GNU ELPA (elpa.gnu.org) is not the correct place for guix.el.  GNU ELPA
> is for the packages that are part of GNU Emacs but not distributed with
> Emacs; therefore FSF holds the copyright of those packages.
>
> NonGNU ELPA is the correct place, it is for all types of free software
> Emacs packages that are not part of GNU Emacs.

Thinking of this in terms of "being part of Emacs" or not doesn't
necessarily help make things clearer, in my opinion.

The main difference between GNU ELPA and NonGNU ELPA is that the former
requires all copyright to be assigned to the Free Software Foundation,
whereas the latter does not.  So if the copyright of guix.el is
assigned, it could be added to GNU ELPA.  Otherwise, it would have to go
to NonGNU ELPA.

There are also ethical requirements for both archives, of course.  These
are mainly that packages must be free software, and not recommend using
non-free software.