guix-devel

Should a Guix package include documentation dependencies to be considere

From: jgart
Subject: Should a Guix package include documentation dependencies to be considered complete?
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2022 19:17:11 -0600

Hi Guixers,

For example,

https://github.com/Abjad/abjad/blob/63520b2a00ef59f3302837f843d069c3946baa6c/docs/Makefile#L113

We have abjad packaged but we don't necessarily have all the dependencies
needed to build everything that abjad provides such as a PDF document that it
mentions in its project Makefile.

Should we include the LaTeX dependencies in the abjad package?

Should all Python packages include the required dependencies to build
documentation?

We currently include all the dependencies to run the tests, why not do
the same for documentation building?

Should we make it a requirement or goal to always package a given package's
"documentation-inputs"?

There's another thread where I already talked on this topic with roptat
briefly. I'll find it and link it soon.