guix-devel

Re: File search

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: File search
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2022 16:41:20 +0100

Hi,

"(" <paren@disroot.org> skribis:

> Someone on IRC suggested that we use GraphQL to allow us to request
> that a substitute server search for files in a database constructed
> using all the packages that have been built.
>
> I suggest something like this:
>
>   # on the client
>   when [built a package derivation]
>     [add files to local database]
>
>   when [user ran guix find]
>     if [send find request to substitute server] didn't work
>       [search through local database]
>     [display result]

Upthread I started the discussion of criteria for file search:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2022-01/msg00354.html

Among them, there’s privacy and support for off-line operation.  To meet
these criteria, I think we should refrain from sending individual file
search requests to the server, and instead have the option of fetching a
full database.

Ludo’.