guix-devel

Re: Packaging big generated data files?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Packaging big generated data files?
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 11:16:39 +0100

Hi,

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli <GNUtoo@cyberdimension.org> skribis:

> On Thu, 08 Dec 2022 14:46:51 +0100
> Csepp <raingloom@riseup.net> wrote:
>> Could ZIM files be downloaded over bittorrent as fixed output
>> derivations?  They can be pretty huge.  Also if the system started
>> seeding them as well, that would be pretty cool.
> I've no idea how to generate fixed output derivations.

Origins are lowered into “fixed-output derivations”.  They’re
“fixed-output” because their content hash is known in advance, and thus,
the method you used to produce them doesn’t matter (info "(guix)
Derivations").

So you could specify an origin with ‘bittorrent-fetch’ (to be written)
instead of ‘url-fetch’.

HTH,
Ludo’.