guix-devel

Re: Drafting a Guix blog post on the FHS container

From: John Kehayias
Subject: Re: Drafting a Guix blog post on the FHS container
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 05:46:56 +0000

Hi Wojtek,

Thanks for your input!

On Mon, Dec 05, 2022 at 07:51 AM, Wojtek Kosior wrote:

> Hello,
>

>> Hi Guixers!
>>
>> I've started working on a little blog post about our new
>> --emulate-fhs option for Guix containers. In short, this sets up an
>> FHS-like (Filesystem Hierarchy Standard) container which has things
>> like /lib and /bin.
>>
>> I would like to get some suggestions on good examples to include.
>> More general feedback, questions, and other comments are also
>> welcome! I've included a rough draft of the beginning of the post,
>> leading up to showing some examples.
>
> Hi,
>
> One recent real-life example of `--emulate-fhs` being useful is with
> Python's virtualenv. I mentioned it in one help-guix thread which
> you can see here[1] :)
>
> Wojtek
>
> [1] <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2022-11/msg00305.html>

I took a look but wasn't sure the exact commands I would use to show this, I
guess it is when invoking vitualenv and using Guix python packages? I'm not a
virtualenv user, so apologies for the simple question!

Though I'm happy to generally mention this as an example use and point to the
linked email thread.

Thanks again,
John