guix-devel

Re: shepherd: prefix output with service names?

From: Attila Lendvai
Subject: Re: shepherd: prefix output with service names?
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 14:18:05 +0000

> What do you think of prefixing every line with the name of the service
> that is responsible for it? This way we could probably also
> prettify/post-process the output somewhat.

just a general warning here:

errors in the processing of output that resulted in some error messages getting
silently swallowed by the infrastructure has cost me countless hours of
unnecessary debugging.

i have already experienced this in multiple places also in the Guix codebase.

--
• attila lendvai
• PGP: 963F 5D5F 45C7 DFCD 0A39