guix-devel

Re: branch core-updates updated: gnu: coreutils-boot0: Fix building on a

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: branch core-updates updated: gnu: coreutils-boot0: Fix building on arm architectures.
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 15:56:24 +0100

Hi,

Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> skribis:

> On December 12, 2022 1:47:29 PM UTC, "Ludovic Courtès" <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

[...]

>>> +       ,@(if (target-arm?)
>>> +           ;; Some binaries fail to build.
>>> +           `(#:configure-flags '(,(string-append
>>> +                                    "--enable-no-install-program="
>>> +                                    ;; the defaults
>>> +                                    "arch,coreutils,hostname"
>>> +                                    ;; fails on aarch64
>>> +                                    ",timeout,sort")))
>>
>>Isn’t there a risk that things will break down the road if ‘sort’,
>>‘hostname’, etc. are missing?  How hard would it be to address the build
>>failure instead?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Ludo’.
>
> I built all the way out to hello without any problems. Also %final-inputs has
> coreutils-final, so it really shouldn't be noticable.

That’s odd though.  Isn’t there some upstream patch we could take?
Surely ‘sort’ has no reason to contain arch-specific code?

If there’s no such patch, we can go with the patch above, but then there
should be a comment linking to bug reports and reassuring the reader
that yes, some packages do build even without these commands.  :-)

(There’s no “coreutils” command BTW, unless enabling the
everything-in-one-binary trick, no?)

Thanks,
Ludo’.