guix-devel

build-system-modules

From: Nicolas Graves
Subject: build-system-modules
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 17:56:30 +0100

Is there a good reason to have put %gnu-build-system-modules after other
modules when defining %X-build-system-modules ?

I met a packaging error two times when hacking guile or maven packages,
where after using the #:modules flag in arguments, I found myself with
gnu build-system packaging phases instead of guile or maven build-system
modules. When inverting the modules order, I don't have this error
anymore. I would like to invert them, except if there's a reason against
it.

Codelines I'm referring to :

 (define %guile-build-system-modules
   ;; Build-side modules imported by default.
-  `((guix build guile-build-system)
-    ,@%gnu-build-system-modules))
+  `(,@%gnu-build-system-modules
+    (guix build guile-build-system)))

 (define %maven-build-system-modules
   ;; Build-side modules imported by default.
-  `((guix build maven-build-system)
-    (guix build maven pom)
-    ,@%gnu-build-system-modules))
+  `(,@%gnu-build-system-modules
+    (guix build maven-build-system)
+    (guix build maven pom)))

To reproduce:

Take a guile or maven package, fill the #:modules key in arguments with
respectively '(%guile-build-system-modules) or
'(%maven-build-system-modules), the packaging phases should fail with
gnu-build-system packaging phases.

--
Best regards,
Nicolas Graves