guix-devel

Re: Ability to specify compiler package for Go build system.

From: Katherine Cox-Buday
Subject: Re: Ability to specify compiler package for Go build system.
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 10:20:06 -0700

Hilton Chain <hako@ultrarare.space> writes:

> Hi Guix,
>
> I'm trying to package wakatime-cli[1], while Guix uses Go 1.17 as the
> default, the package requires Go 1.19 at the current version
> (v1.60.4).
>
> Though it's possible to package the last version supports Go 1.17
> (v1.38.0), I wonder if we can adjust the build system so that a Go
> package could be specified via an argument in the package definition.

As a temporary work-around, you can do this in a channel:

https://github.com/kat-co/guix-channels/blob/5c17bdd6c4ae801effdf1069df69ec4e2ce0a0dd/upstream/packages/golang.scm#L58-L59

https://github.com/kat-co/guix-channels/blob/5c17bdd6c4ae801effdf1069df69ec4e2ce0a0dd/upstream/packages/golang.scm#L818

Or maybe Ekaitz's suggestion might work.

At any rate, work is underway to bring Guix's default Go up to 1.19:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2023-01/msg00097.html

--
Katherine