guix-devel

The package/inherit trap (was: gnu: stellarium: Enable ShowMySky.)

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: The package/inherit trap (was: gnu: stellarium: Enable ShowMySky.)
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2023 20:21:02 +0100

Hi!

Maxim Cournoyer 写道:
Simon Tournier <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> writes:
It is not clear for me why you choose one over the other. From my
current understanding, I would be tempted to always use
'package/inherit' and never plain 'inherit'.

I also got confused by that in the past;

Same.  I think it's a rite of passage.  A questionable one.

The way I process it internally now is this:

If the inheritance is for *same-source/same-version* variants of a package, they should use package/inherit, as any security issues found in the parent package should also be applied to that package (since they
use the same source).  Otherwise, plain 'inherit' should be used
(e.g. for newer version variants).

That about jives with my intuition.

Judging by the (IMO) universal confusion this causes, it is (IMO) spectacularly poorly-named. A docstring doesn't fix that.

Could we rename it to something like ‘package+replacements/inherit’? To me, that captures the spirit, without being overly longer.

But I'll gladly judge other bikesheds if they lead to a less misleading name.

Kind regards,

T G-R