guix-devel

Cuirass package build timeouts and max-silent-time [was Re: Merging bran

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Cuirass package build timeouts and max-silent-time [was Re: Merging branch wip-haskell]
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2023 21:15:29 -0500

On Wed, Mar 08, 2023 at 08:31:33PM +0100, Lars-Dominik Braun wrote:
> Hello Felix,
>
> > I see build failures [1] for Ghc 9.2.5 in the Cuirass job set [2] for
> > my own feature branch. [3] They are caused by a one-hour timeout. Did
> > you folks figure out how to extend the timeout limit on Cuirass when
> > working on your own branch? Thanks!
>
> I don’t see GHC being rebuild in [2] and GHC 9.2 should
> have a higher max-silent-time than 1 hour on master since
> 3bb2078a12d78a13f1e1520fe3705333a74ef6e3 (which is part of your
> branch). So I’m slightly confused.

I suspect that GHC was never built by Cuirass, but that somebody logged
in to the build server and invoked `guix build ghc
--max-silent-time=99999`.

There's no logs of a successful build of GHC 9.2.5 available through the
Cuirass web interface, which is a clue that my hunch is correct. Builds
performed "by hand" don't appear in the web interface.

https://ci.guix.gnu.org/search?query=spec%3Amaster+ghc-9.2.5

Are we sure that Cuirass honors the max-silent-time property? If I
remember correctly, it did not do so in the past.