guix-devel

Re: The πŸ‘ Shepherd gets a service collection

From: Adam Faiz
Subject: Re: The πŸ‘ Shepherd gets a service collection
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 23:39:32 +0000

I imagine we could develop more convenient services like this, such as basic command scheduler similar to the β€˜at’ command, and a syslogd
implementation.  The latter could be nice for a couple of reasons:
logging would happen from the start and till the end (an improvement
over the external syslogd process), and it could let us provide a nicer
user interface to view logs (taking inspiration from that of
β€˜journalctl’).

Thoughts?  Ideas?I don't think a command scheduler should be added to the
Shepherd, isn't that what mcron does?
If mcron has any deficiencies for being used as an `at` command, then that can
be improved.

Regarding syslogd, I think a better approach is to tell the services to send
their output to stdout and stderror,
so that logs don't depend on a separate logging service in the first place.
Per-service logging is already implemented in the Shepherd, but could be
streamlined to have a default logs directory:
https://skarnet.org/software/s6/s6-log.html#loggingchain

I'm already happy with zless/any GUI log viewer, but it would be great to have
a nicer user interface to view logs nonetheless.