guix-devel

Potential removal of unmaintained node-openzwave-shared

From: Jelle Licht
Subject: Potential removal of unmaintained node-openzwave-shared
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 13:08:18 +0100

Hey guix,

In getting `Node.js' updated to a more recent LTS version[0], I found
out that node-openzwave-shared no longer builds with modern versions of
node [1]; random people on the Internet seem to indicate that
the hip new thing is Z-Wave JS [2].

Long story short, what is our de facto policy here?

1) Keep around a copy of Node 14 and all node-openzwave-shared deps,
   even after the End Of Life of 2023-04-30
2) Remove node-openzwave-shared, and move to Node 18 whenever possible
   without this package.
3) Patch node-openzwave-shared' so it builds with newer versions of
   Node, and move to Node 18.
4) Remove node-openzwave-shared, move to Node 18, package the relevant
   parts of Z-Wave JS.

I don't have the time nor means for anything but option 2) myself, so if
consensus deems any of the other options a better way forward,
volunteers are invited to apply :-)

- Jelle

[0]: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/59188
[1]: https://github.com/OpenZWave/node-openzwave-shared/issues/398