guix-devel

Re: Google Summer of Code 2023 Inquiry

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Google Summer of Code 2023 Inquiry
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 08:58:27 +0100

Hi,

Spencer Skylar Chan <schan12@terpmail.umd.edu> writes:

> One approach could be to add CWL import/export capabilities to
> GWL. Then Snakemake/GWL conversion would be a 2 step process, using
> CWL as an intermediate step:
>
> 1. Snakemake -> CWL
> 2. CWL -> GWL

This seems doable.

> However, CWL is not as expressive as Snakemake. There may be some
> details that are lost from Snakemake workflows.
>
> So a 1-step Snakemake/GWL transpiler could be interesting, as both
> Snakemake/GWL use a domain-specific language inside a general purpose
> language (Python/Guile respectively). There may be a possibility to
> achieve more "accurate" translations between workflows.

Compared to the previous approach this seems vastly more complex.  It’s
one thing to *execute* Snakemake code without running it through Python,
but quite a bit more challenging to transpile Python to Scheme.

Personally, I wouldn’t know where to start.  Do you have an idea
already?

--
Ricardo