guix-devel

Where should we put machine learning model parameters ?

From: Nicolas Graves
Subject: Where should we put machine learning model parameters ?
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2023 18:48:12 +0200

Hi Guix!

I've recently contributed a few tools that make a few OSS machine
learning programs usable for Guix, namely nerd-dictation for dictation
and llama-cpp as a converstional bot.

In the first case, I would also like to contribute parameters of some
localized models so that they can be used more easily through Guix. I've
already discussed this subject when submitting these patches, without a
clear answer.

In the case of nerd-dictation, the model parameters that can be used
are listed here : https://alphacephei.com/vosk/models

One caveat is that using all these models can take a lot of space on the
servers, a burden which is not useful because no build step are really
needed (except an unzip step). In this case, we can use the
#:substitutable? #f flag. You can find an example of some of these
packages right here :
https://git.sr.ht/~ngraves/dotfiles/tree/main/item/packages.scm

So my question is: Should we add this type of models in packages for
Guix? If yes, where should we put them? In machine-learning.scm? In a
new file machine-learning-models.scm (such a file would never need new
modules, and it might avoid some confusion between the tools and the
parameters needed to use the tools)?

--
Best regards,
Nicolas Graves