guix-devel

Re: [Rust Team] Status post core-updates merge

From: Josselin Poiret
Subject: Re: [Rust Team] Status post core-updates merge
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 19:06:29 +0200

Hi Efraim (and the rest of the Rust team),

Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> writes:

> Now that core-updates has been merged into master it's time for a status
> update from the rust team.
>
> Currently rust supports (in the order of gaining support) x86_64,
> aarch64 and riscv64. GDB-11 doesn't currently build on aarch64 or
> riscv64, so we're removing gdb-11 entirely and using a new gdb-12 as
> gdb/pinned for the test suite. This is expected to fix rust building on
> aarch64.

Is there any hope for the other architectures?  I'm thinking i686
mostly, but s390x, powerpc and mips are all on the radar.

> rust-bootstrap currently fails to build on riscv64. I've been testing
> solutions by building on an x86_64 machine to see what builds pass and
> what fails, and I think I've found a solution with minimal changes.
>
> Once I'm able to successfully build rust-bootstrap on x86_64 and riscv64
> I'll push the update to the rust-team branch and let the CI build it
> out.
>
> As a quick overview, this push moves our rust package to rust-1.67 and
> updates many of our rust packages. We've had some more unbundling of
> bundled library sources and precompiled libraries and updated a number
> of rust programs, mostly so they build with the newer version of rust.

Very impressive!  I only watch from afar and complain about the rust
situation whenever I can, but this is giving me hope.  With Rust getting
further and further down into the dependency chain, this is vital work,
and you all seem to be handling it very well.

I'm also curious, since you're "early adopters": how are you managing
with the team workflow?  Any tips, remarks or impressions that you could
share with other teams?

Best,
---
Josselin Poiret