guix-devel

Re: Contributing Guix Home services

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Contributing Guix Home services
Date: Wed, 03 May 2023 22:42:27 +0200

Hey!

Tanguy LE CARROUR <tanguy@bioneland.org> skribis:

> Quoting Ludovic Courtès (2023-04-17 15:39:02)
>> Tanguy LE CARROUR <tanguy@bioneland.org> skribis:
>> > It's been quite a journey on my side! Ups. Downs. Mostly downs, though! 😅
>> > Thanks to Simon's unconditional technical and moral support, a **LOT**
>> > has changed since I sent this message. Hopefully for the better! 🤞
>>
>> Heh.  :-)  While it’s fresh on your mind, it would be nice to list the
>> problems you ran into on your journey and see what we can do about it.
>
> Mostly figuring out how to test it!
>
> On my machine at home, `guix home reconfigure` can take minutes.

Did you test with ‘guix home container’ first?  That’s what I do and I
added this command precisely so one can test without any risk of
breaking things.

It’s still too slow though, that’s right.

> I can only test file generation, though.

The msmtp service does nothing but file generation though, right?

> Then I painfully discovered that replacing in a string is not as easy as
> it sounds, or, more precisely, that "python replace in string" yields
> better results than "scheme replace in string" in DuckDuckGo!

True!  Perhaps something to add to the Cookbook’s Scheme intro.

(Fun fact: I’ve never used that (ice-9 string-fun) module that keeps
popping up in new code.  :-))

> I've also used `gexp` in places where I'm not sure it makes any sense,
> but it works, so… #pragmatic!

Alright.

> Done! <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/62969>

Wo0t!