guix-devel

Re: Mesa vulkan layer path fix for core-updates

From: Kaelyn
Subject: Re: Mesa vulkan layer path fix for core-updates
Date: Tue, 09 May 2023 14:56:22 +0000

Hi,

------- Original Message -------
On Tuesday, May 9th, 2023 at 4:51 AM, John Kehayias
<john.kehayias@protonmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Tue, Apr 25, 2023 at 04:40 PM, Kaelyn wrote:
>
> > Hi,

Yes they can be. As a quick smoke test, prior to these patches landing,
"vulkaninfo > /dev/null" would consistently print out vulkan loader errors
about not being able to open libVkLayer_MESA_device_select.so. (I call it a
smoke test because that layer not being found isn't fatal; I first encountered
the errors in a breaking way when packaging vulkan-validationlayers for use
with the tutorial at https://vulkan-tutorial.com/.)

Slightly off-topic speaking of mesa bugs: another one that can be closed is
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/43849 as the issue with mesa's reproducibility was
fixed with a patch that landed in meson 0.59.0 (which Guix picked up in commit
b15c3dd9b0 from July 2021).

> > For the VDPAU drivers, I plan to do a little more digging and some
> > experimenting but I suspect defining VDPAU_DRIVER_PATH as a
> > native-search-path is the best way forward. I'll send a patch once
> > I've tested a change locally without having my profile set
> > VDPAU_DRIVER_PATH to /run/current-system/profile/lib/vdpau.
>

> I checked that both 48868 and 62313 were fixed in the recent updates
> and closed both.
>
> Thanks for the patches!
> John

You're welcome! And thank you for checking and resolving the bug reports!

Cheers,
Kaelyn